These resources provide context for and background information relating to K-CEP’s cooling efficiency work:
K-CEP Info & Knowledge Briefs
- Knowledge Brief Series: Green On-Wage Financing. By BASE. November 2020.
- Understanding the Cold Chain Challenge for Covid-19 Vaccination. By the University of Birmingham and the Centre for Sustainable Cooling. November 2020.
- The Power of Efficient Cooling: How efficient, climate-friendly cooling can support the power sector’s transition to net zero emissions. By the Economist Intelligence Unit. November 2020.
- Cooling for All: The role of cold chain in delivering a COVID-19 vaccine. By SEforALL and Professor Toby Peters. November 2020.
- Primer for Space Cooling and Compendium to the Primer for Space Cooling. By ESMAP (World Bank Group). September 2020.
- Energy Transition: Stay cool and get to zero – Energy Efficiency Magazine (pg 41). By Dan Hamza-Goodacre. September 2020.
- Cool Development Banks: Rising to the Challenge of Cooling a Warming World. By E3G. September 2020.
- Net Zero Cold Chains for Food. By the Carbon Trust and K-CEP. September 2020.
- Efficient Cooling in a Warming World. By the Climate Group and the Alliance to Save Energy. September 2020.
- Fair Cooling Now. By Ashden, K-CEP and ClimateWorks Foundation. August 2020.
- The Economic Benefits of a Clean Recovery. The Case of Energy-efficient Cooling. By the Economist Intelligence Unit. August 2020.
- Better Design for Cool Buildings: How Improved Building Design Can Reduce the Massive Need for Space Cooling in Hot Climate. By the Programme for Energy Efficiency in Buildings (PEEB). August 2020.
- Primer for Cool Cities: Reducing Excessive Urban Heat – With a Focus on Passive Measures. By ESMAP (World Bank Group). July 2020.
- Cooling as a Service (CaaS) Toolkit. By the CaaS Initiative. July 2020.
- Cooling Emissions and Policy Synthesis Report. By the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the International Energy Agency (IEA). July 2020.
- ‘This is Cool’ Campaign Toolkit. By Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL). July 2020.
- Chilling Prospects: Tracking Sustainable Cooling for All 2020. By Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL). July 2020.
- UK Leadership on Sustainable Cooling: From Covid-19 to COP26. By the Carbon Trust, the UK Government, the UN Environment Programme, and the Cool Coalition. July 2020.
- Mobile Cooling : Assessment of Challenges and Options. By the World Bank Group. June 2020.
- Building Back Better: How Climate-Friendly Cooling Can Support a Clean, Resilient Covid-19 Recovery. By E3G and K-CEP. June 2020.
- ‘Cooling for All: Needs-based assessment – Country-scale Cooling Action Plan Methodology. By Heriot Watt University, Centre for Sustainable Cooling, and SEforAll. June 2020.
- Investor Research Report on the Cooling Sector: Ranking 18 of the largest publicly listed companies. By CDP. June 2020.
- Financing Access to Cooling Solutions. By Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL). March 2020
- Brochure on Good Refrigeration Practices. By the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO). March 2020
- Assessment of climate and development benefits of efficient and climate-friendly cooling. By the Climate and Clean Air Coalition (CCAC). February 2020.
- The Cooling Imperative: Forecasting the size and source of future cooling demand. By The Economist Intelligence Unit. December 2019.
- Digital Public Sphere Analysis Insights Research: Efficient, Climate Friendly Cooling. By Alto Data Analytics. December 2019.
- Chilling Prospects: Tracking Sustainable Cooling for All 2019. By Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL). November 2019.
- Cooling in a warming world – Opportunities for delivering efficient and climate friendly cooling for all. By UN Environment and IEA. October 2019.
- Model regulation guidelines for energy-efficient, climate-friendly room air conditioners and refrigerators. United for Efficiency (U4E). September 2019.
- We Will: Efficient, Climate-Friendly Cooling for All brochure. By the Cool Coalition.
- Maps of national cooling policies
- Guides for Government and business action on efficient, climate-friendly cooling for the UN Secretary General’s Climate Action Summit (for governments / for businesses / for civil society / for cities)
- Discussion Paper: Architecture & Financing Models for Efficient Cooling alongside the Montreal Protocol By NRDC and Climate Finance Adviors. July 2019.
- Guidance on Incorporating Efficient, Clean Cooling into the Enhancement of Nationally Determined Contributions (English /French / Spanish)
- Clean Cooling Landscape Assessment
- Efficient, Clean Cooling- A Major Near-Term Opportunity for China
- Principles for National Cooling Plans
- Global Climate Impact from Hospital Cooling
- Enhancing China’s South-South Cooperation on Efficient, Clean Cooling
- Cooling as a Service (CaaS)
- Global, Regional, and Country Activities Supported by the Kigali Cooling Efficiency Program
- Optimization, Monitoring, and Maintenance of Cooling Technology.
- K-CEP Glossary
- Chilling Prospects: Providing Sustainable Cooling for All. By Sustainable Energy for All (SEforAll). July 2018
- The Future of Cooling: Opportunities for energy-efficient air conditioning. By the International Energy Agency (IEA). May 2018
- Cooling Efficiency: Benefits, progress & opportunities. By the Efficiency Cooling Office and the Carbon Trust. November 2017.
- Freezing in the tropics: Asean’s air-con conundrum. Written and produced by Eco-Business Research. January 2018.
- Cooling efficiency finance case studies. By the Efficiency Cooling Office and the Carbon Trust. April 2018.
- Africa cooling map. The Africa cooling cap presents African cooling policies, activities, and data related to making cooling more efficient and less polluting across the continent.
Briefs, Science & Research
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory: Benefits of Leapfrogging to Superefficiency and Low Global Warming Potential Refrigerants in Room Air Conditioning.
- Contribution of air conditioning adoption to future energy use under global warming. By Lucas W. Davis and Paul J. Gertler
- Deadly heat waves projected in the densely populated agricultural regions of South Asia. By Eun-Soon Im, Jeremy S. Pal, Elfatih A. B. Eltahir. August 2, 2017
- Lessons Learned From Incentive Programs for Efficient Air Conditioners: A Review. By Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. May 2015. (Highlight: Page 50 – description of Mexico’s program.)
- On-Bill Financing: Overview and Key Considerations for Program Design. By NRDC. July 2013. (Highlight: On-bill financing in the U.S. context.)
- Options for Financing Energy Efficiency in Public Buildings in Georgia. By the Energy Sector Management Assistance Program (ESMAP) and the World Bank’s Europe and Central Asia Region. September, 2016. (Highlight: Page 20/Section 4 – International Experience in Financing Public Sector Energy Efficiency Projects.)
Organizations and Agencies
- UNEP Ozone Secretariat. Find information on the Montreal Protocol, including the Kigali Amendment, along with Technical Economic Assessment Panel (TEAP) reports and data.
- Multilateral Fund for the Implementation of the Montreal Protocol. The Fund is dedicated to reversing the deterioration of the Earth’s ozone layer. It was established in 1991 to assist developing countries meet their Montreal Protocol commitments.
- The Climate & Clean Air Coalition HFC initiative
- HFCville interactive tool. Explore where HFCs are commonly used and where lower GWP substances and alternative technologies are readily available.
- UNEP Fact Sheet: Maximizing Climate Benefits of HCFC Phase-out in the Refrigeration Servicing Sector.